Week of December 20, 2021 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 4 ETF launches and 9 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 4.44 and total US ETFs to 2,794.
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to our ETF Think Tank family! It is the most wonderful time of year when we celebrate the holidays with family and exchange gifts. And speaking of gift exchanges, let’s do a check in with our 3 major stock exchanges:
- According to our Security Master, the NYSE contains 75.31% of the US ETF universe assets, approximately 5.38 trillion dollars, which is up 5.39% QTD compared to the Nasdaq at 4.62% and CBOE at 2.54% increase QTD.
- As for the market share of listings, while CBOE stayed about the same, the NYSE is up 0.54% and the Nasdaq slipped 0.61% in market share. CBOE continues to pull ahead of the Nasdaq (19.01% compared to 15.60%). They were nearly the same at the beginning of 2021 at about 17.5%.
- Both indexes experienced minimal change over the last week, the Toroso ETF Industry Index was up 0.41% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at -1.16%.
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through December 24, 2021)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.