Week of March 14, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 6 ETF launches and 3 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 4.97 and total US ETFs to 2,888.
- Sunday March 20th was the first day of Spring 2022. Let’s take a look if the ETF industry sprung forward over the winter (data compares December 19, 2021 to March 20, 2022).
- 3.2% increase in total US ETFs (+90), but a -0.85% decrease in total assets (approximately $60 Bn).
- From our 11 asset class categories, Options increased the most (51.87%) and Preferred Stock had the largest drop (-10.37%). The two largest asset classes of Equity (78.08% of assets) and Fixed Income (16.94%) both declined -1.09% and -2.37% respectively.
- -1.44% decrease in ETF expense ratio 12-month revenue.
- Revenue from Active ETFs shot up from 9.48% to 10.92%.
- 23 additional issuers by brand.
- Winter of 2022 was a cold season for assets overall, but the trend of increased listings and issuers continued.
- The tracked indexes had different experiences over the winter. Toroso ETF Industry Index was down -3.88% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index led at 1.66%.
LHA Market State™ Tactical Q ETF (ticker: MSTQ)
Avantis Responsible International Equity ETF (ticker: AVSD)
Avantis Responsible US Equity ETF (ticker: AVSU)
KraneShares Global Carbon Transformation ETF (ticker: KGHG)
ProShares Metaverse ETF (ticker: VERS)
WisdomTree Efficient Gold Plus Gold Equity Strategy ETF (ticker: GDE)
Pacer Salt High truBeta US Market ETF (ticker: SLT)
Pacer Salt Low truBeta US Market ETF (ticker: LSLT)
Siren Large Cap Blend ETF (ticker: SPQQ)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of March 18, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through March 18, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.