Week of February 14, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 14 ETF launches and 2 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 5.12 and total US ETFs to 2,865.
- Today is Tuesday 2/22/22, which makes it a perfect time to take a look back on the industry’s 2-year performance KPIs.
- Total ETFs have increased 22% (ironically) which is an increase of +528 ETFs.
- ETF Assets have grown 48%, an increase of $2.2 Trillion (weird coincidence #2).
- From our 11 asset class categories, Options increased the most (521.4%) with Commodities Derivative in second place (227.9%). Preferred Stock had the worst performance (16.3%) with Currency second to last (32.5%). The two largest asset classes of Equity (77.89% of assets) and Fixed Income (17.30%) increased 49.8% and 37.9% respectively.
- ETF expense ratio 12-month revenue surged from $8.51 Billion to $11.96 Billion.
- Lastly, the number of Issuers by Brand skyrocketed from 144 to 255 in the past 24-months.
- On this final palindrome date of the year, we celebrate the success of the ETF industry in its growth in assets, funds, and issuers.
- Both indexes experienced similar performance the last 24-months. The Toroso ETF Industry Index is up 22.11% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at 15.23%.
Simplify Aggregate Bond PLUS Credit Hedge ETF (ticker: AGGH)
Simplify High Yield PLUS Credit Hedge ETF (ticker: CDX)
BondBloxx US High Yield Financial & REIT Sector ETF(ticker: XHYF)
BondBloxx US High Yield Energy Sector ETF (ticker: XHYE)
BondBloxx US High Yield Healthcare Sector ETF (ticker: XHYH)
BondBloxx US High Yield Industrial Sector ETF (ticker: XHYI)
BondBloxx US High Yield Consumer Cyclicals Sector ETF (ticker: XHYC)
BondBloxx US High Yield Consumer Non-Cyclicals Sector ETF (ticker: XHYD)
BondBloxx US High Yield Telecom Media Technology Sector ETF (ticker: XHYT)
Fidelity Sustainable High Yield ETF (ticker: FSYD)
Goldman Sachs Access Emerging Markets USD Bond ETF (ticker: GEMD)
VanEck Digital India ETF (ticker: DGIN)
WisdomTree Battery Value Chain & Innovation ETF (ticker: WBAT)
SPDR® Blackstone High Income ETF (ticker: HYBL)
LifeGoal Children Investment ETF (ticker: CHLD)
LifeGoal Vacation Investment ETF (ticker: SUNY)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of February 18, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through February 18, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.