Week of September 13, 2021 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 12 ETF launches and no closures, shifting the 2021 YTD Open-to-Close ratio to 2.56 and total US ETFs to 2,638.
- Fall officially starts on Wednesday, so let’s take a look back on Summer 2021’s impact on the ETF industry (data compares June 20, 2021 to September 19, 2021).
- 3.7% increase in total US ETFs (+97) and a 6.1% increase in total assets (approximately $405 Bn)
- From our 11 asset class categories, Options increased the most (14.51%) with Allocation close behind (12.14%) and Commodities Physical had the largest drop (-5.33%) with Volatility close behind (-3.39%). The two largest asset classes of Equity (77.95% of assets) and Fixed Income (17.56%) both grew 6.46% and 4.77% respectively.
- 4.0% increase in ETF ER 12-month revenue
- Slight rise in Non-Traditional beta revenue (0.65%) and Active revenue (0.07%)
- 20 additional issuers by brand
- Summer 2021’s growth was similar and even outperforms many of the Spring’s KPIs.
- Both indexes experienced decent growth during Summer 2021 (3 months), Toroso ETF Industry Index is up 3.52% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index led at 4.48%.
Global X Solar ETF (ticker: RAYS)
Global X Wind Energy ETF (ticker: WNDY)
Lyrical US VALUE ETF (ticker: USVT)
Simplify Tail Risk Strategy ETF (ticker: CYA)
Goldman Sachs Future Tech Leaders Equity ETF (ticker: GTEK)
Harbor Scientific Alpha High-Yield ETF (ticker: SIHY)
Harbor Scientific Alpha Income ETF (ticker: SIFI)
Hartford Schroders Commodity Strategy ETF (ticker: HCOM)
AdvisorShares Psychedelics ETF (ticker: PSIL)
Invesco BulletShares 2029 High Yield Corporate Bond ETF (ticker: BSJT)
Invesco BulletShares 2031 Corporate Bond ETF (ticker: BSCV)
Invesco BulletShares 2031 Municipal Bond ETF (ticker: BSMV)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of September 17, 2021)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through September 17, 2021)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All