Week of June 20, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 7 ETF launches and 2 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 4.51 and total US ETFs to 2,955.
- Schools are out and summer has begun across the U.S. Most Americans will take one or more vacations during the summer months, so let’s take a look at the 6 non-leverage Travel and Leisure ETFs.
- The category has $1.39 Billion across the 6 funds, with a large majority ($1.1 Billion) in Invesco’s PEJ which was launched in 2005. The remaining 5 funds (AWAY, BEDZ, CRUZ, JRNY, TRYP) are all from different Issuers and have been launched in the last two and a half years.
- This portion of the ETF industry has been taking a beating lately, averaging -20.6% down over the past 3-months, while the industry overall has averaged -10.2% performance in the same time period.
- When looking at the 1-year performance, AdvisorShare’s BEDZ leads the group at -17.3% with a group average of -24.5%. Plus, it is the only Actively managed fund in the category.
- These funds have an average expense ratio of 0.69.
- This is the third summer since Covid surfaced, and families are surely looking to travel safely if expenses allow. We’ll see if these ETFs can bounce back from getting pummeled in the last 3-months, or if recreational spending will continue to be at a minimum with inflation and market turmoil.
- Both indexes experienced a large increase last week. Toroso ETF Industry Index was up 6.55% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at 5.14%.
Nuveen Global Net Zero Transition ETF (ticker: NTZG)
IQ Winslow Focused Large Cap Growth ETF (ticker: IWFG)
IQ Winslow Large Cap Growth ETF (ticker: IWLG)
MicroSectors™ Travel -3X Inverse Leveraged ETN (ticker: FLYD)
MicroSectors™ Travel 3X Leveraged ETN (ticker: FLYU)
ProShares Short Bitcoin Strategy ETF (ticker: BITI)
VanEck CLO ETF (ticker: CLOI)
Infusive® Compounding Global Equities ETF (ticker: JOYY)
iClima Climate Change Solutions ETF (ticker: CLMA)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of June 24, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through June 24, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.