Week of June 7, 2021 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 6 ETF launches and no closures, shifting the 2021 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 1.85 and total US ETFs to 2,529.
- Here are some 1-year KPIs of the ETF industry
- 33.7% increase in total assets in the past year ($4.28 Tn to $6.46 Tn)
- 34.9% increase in ETF ER 12-month Revenue ($7.79 Bn to $11.96 Bn)
- 24.6% increase in Number of Issuers by Brand (147 to 195)
- CBOE market share increased from 15.81% to 19.18%, while NYSE and Nasdaq decrease 2.11% and 1.29% respectively.
- Revenue from Actively managed ETFs increased from 6.76% to 9.53%
- Both indexes experienced minimal change this week, Toroso ETF Industry Index was down -0.86% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at -2.37%.
iShares Cloud 5G and Tech ETF (ticker: IDAT)
KraneShares Hang Seng TECH Index ETF (ticker: KTEC)
T. Rowe Price US Equity Research ETF (ticker: TSPA)
Emles Alpha Opportunities ETF (ticker: EOPS)
Invesco Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (ticker: IBBQ)
Invesco PHLX Semiconductor ETF (ticker: SOXQ)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of June 11, 2021)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through June 11, 2021)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.