Week of April 10, 2023 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 5 ETF launches and 3 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 2.19 and total US ETFs to 3,136.
- For all my seafood fans out there, Happy National Crawfish Day! Yes, there is a national day for everything it seems. However, this one stood out to us, and inclined us to do a review of food-related ETFs.
- The 10 ETFs selected total $2.9 Billion with a good portion coming from VanEck Agribusiness ETF (MOO), which manages $1.27 Billion currently, and First Trust Nasdaq Food & Beverage ETF (FTXG) with just under one billion ($0.99 B).
- When it comes to returns, AdvisorShares Restaurant ETF (EATZ) led with pack YTD with 9.2% total return. The 10 ETFs average 1.2% TR YTD but are down a collective -10.2% on a 1-year basis.
- These 10 food-related ETFs average 62.4 bps of ER, which is just under the current rate for Active ETFs (66.9 bps). The lowest ER belongs to iShares MSCI Global Agriculture Producers ETF (VEGI) at 39 bps and the most expensive is EATZ at 99 bps.
- For more insight, see the chart below or join the ETF Think Tank as a member to access this data yourself.
- The highlighted indexes showed a similar performance last week. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was up 3.07% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at 2.86%.
Parabla Innovation ETF (ticker: LZRD)
Roundhill Big Tech ETF (ticker: BIGT)
Global X Prop Tech ETF (ticker: PTEC)
MKAM ETF (ticker: MKAM)
Harbor Corporate Culture Small Cap ETF (ticker: HAPS)
Adaptive High Income ETF (ticker: AHHX)
AdvisorShares Dorsey Wright Alpha Equal Weight ETF (ticker: DWEQ)
AdvisorShares North Square McKee Core Reserves ETF (ticker: HOLD)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of April 14, 2023)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through April 14, 2023)
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.