Week of April 25, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 12 ETF launches and 4 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 5.59 and total US ETFs to 2,925.
- April was the worst month of 2022 so far for the ETF industry, edging out January’s poor performance (data will compare 4/3/22 KPIs to 5/1/22).
- Total assets decreased -7.53%, there was an increase of 25 ETFs to total US ETF count (2,925), and -1 additional issuers by brand (second month in a row with a drop in issuers).
- From our 11 asset class categories, Currency increased the most (22.86%) with Managed Futures closely behind (15.65%). Geared/Swaps had the worst performance (-15.93%) with Equity next (-8.93%). The two largest asset classes of Equity (77.14% of assets) and Fixed Income (17.67%) plunged -8.93% and -2.02% respectively.
- ETF expense ratio 12-month revenue dropped from $12.46 Billion to $11.53 Billion.
- There was not a significant change in revenues from Active, Non-traditional Beta, and Traditional Beta as well as the ETF market share listings from the exchanges.
- Though assets dropped tremendously in April, the number of launches stayed consistent, and the 12-month open-to-close ratio increased from 4.76 to 5.59.
- The tracked indexes had similar experiences in April. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was down -12.56% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index led at -9.87%.
iShares Emergent Food and AgTech Multisector ETF (ticker: IVEG)
iShares Blockchain and Tech ETF (ticker: IBLC)
Invesco Electric Vehicle Metals Commodity Strategy No K-1 ETF (ticker: EVMT)
Global X Metaverse ETF (ticker: VR)
FMC Excelsior Focus Equity ETF (ticker: FMCX)
Direxion Daily TIPS Bull 2X Shares ETF (ticker: TIPL)
Direxion Daily TIPS Bear 2X Shares ETF (ticker: TIPD)
Dimensional Emerging Markets Value ETF (ticker: DFEV)
Dimensional Emerging Markets High Profitability ETF (ticker: DEHP)
Dimensional Emerging Markets Core Equity 2 ETF (ticker: DFEM)
AdvisorShares Managed Bitcoin Strategy ETF (ticker: CRYP)
AdvisorShares Drone Technology ETF (ticker: UAV)
DeltaShares S&P International Managed Risk ETF (ticker: DMRI)
DeltaShares S&P 500 Managed Risk ETF (ticker: DMRL)
DeltaShares S&P 400 Managed Risk ETF (ticker: DMRM)
DeltaShares S&P 600 Managed Risk ETF (ticker: DMRS)
First Trust Total US Market AlphaDEX ETF (ticker: TUSA)
became First Trust Dividend Strength ETF (ticker: FTDS)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of April 29, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through April 29, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.