Week of April 4, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 11 ETF launches and 0 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 4.82 and total US ETFs to 2,911.
- As the 1st Quarter of 2022 has wrapped up, let’s take a look as some KPIs that stand out.
- Total assets decreased -1.87%, there was an increase of 97 ETFs to total US ETF count (2,900), and 11 additional issuers by brand.
- From our 11 asset class categories, Commodities Derivative increased the most (54.35%) with Managed Futures in second (21.91%). Preferred Stock had the worst performance (-11.75%) with Geared/Swaps close behind (-5.36%). The two largest asset classes of Equity (78.33% of assets) and Fixed Income (16.68%) dropped -2.14% and -3.34% respectively.
- ETF expense ratio 12-month revenue rose from $12.21 Billion to $12.46 Billion.
- The average ER of all ETFs increased from 0.40 to 0.42, and the average weighted ER of all ETFs increased from 0.17% to 0.18%.
- The revenue from Active ETFs increased from 9.67% to 10.87%.
- After a major drop in assets to start the year, the Q1 fought back to a mediocre 1.87% drop. Following the trend of Q4 2021, the open-to-close ratio stays above 4. However, the +97 ETFs and +11 issuers doesn’t compare to Q3 2021 (+107/+21) and Q4 2021 (+126/+28).
- The tracked indexes had similar experiences in Q1 2022. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was down -5.38% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index led at -1.69%.
DoubleLine Opportunistic Bond ETF (ticker: DBND)
DoubleLine Shiller CAPE US Equities ETF (ticker: DCPE)
SPDR® Nuveen Municipal Bond ESG ETF (ticker: MBNE)
Goldman Sachs MarketBeta US 1000 Equity ETF (ticker: GUSA)
Neuberger Berman Carbon Transition & Infrastructure ETF (ticker: NBCT)
Neuberger Berman Disruptors ETF (ticker: NBDS)
Neuberger Berman Next Generation Connected Consumer ETF (ticker: NBCC)
ProShares Supply Chain Logistics ETF (ticker: SUPL)
Direxion Daily TIPS Bear 2X Shares ETF (ticker: TIPD)
Direxion Daily TIPS Bull 2X Shares ETF (ticker: TIPL)
Pacer BlueStar Digital Entertainment ETF (ticker: ODDS)
Clockwise Capital Innovation ETF (new ticker: TIME)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of April 8, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through April 8, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.