Week of February 28, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced zero ETF launches and 2 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 4.94 and total US ETFs to 2,876.
- 2022 continued its mediocre performance this past week with assets dropping -1.20%. Although total assets have increased approximately 17.5% ($1.01 Trillion) over 12-months, when looking in the past 6-months, total ETF assets have conversely dropped -0.9% ($60 Billion).
- On the other hand, ETF listings have increased more in the past 6-months compared to the previous 6-month period. Listings total has increased 10.0% (+262) since 10/6/21 while the 12-month outlook is 14.5% (+417).
- Number of issuers has followed this trajectory with 42 new issuers in the past 6-months and 76 in the past 12-months.
- The tracked indexes had different experiences in the 6 and 12-month outlooks as well. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was down -9.88% in the past 6-months and up 7.81% in 12-months while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index led at 0.66% in the past 6-months and 15.59% in 12-months.
Barclays ETN + Shiller Capet (ticker: CAPE)
First Trust Strategic Income ETF (ticker: FDIV)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of March 4, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through March 4, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.