Week of December 6, 2021 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 9 new ETF launches and 3 closures, shifting the 2021 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 4.08 and total US ETFs to 2,771.
- As we are approaching the end of the year and certain to highlight plenty of 1-year data, let’s examine some 6-month data to identify how the back half of 2021 has fared thus far.
- 9.0% increase in total assets ($6.46 Tn to $7.10 Tn)
- 5.0% increase in ETF ER 12-month Revenue ($11.96 Bn to $12.59 Bn)
- 14.8% increase in Number of Issuers by Brand (195 to 229)
- NYSE market share of listings increased 0.92%, while CBOE and Nasdaq decreased 0.27% and 0.64% respectively.
- While Revenue from Active ETFs experienced very little change, Revenue from Non-Traditional Beta ETFs jumped from 40.97% to 44.68%
- Both indexes experienced a decent increase over the past 6-months. Toroso ETF Industry Index is up 6.56% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at 5.60%.
BNY Mellon Concentrated International ETF(ticker: BKCI)
Global X MSCI Vietnam ETF (ticker: VNAM)
WealthTrust DBS Long Term Growth ETF (ticker: WLTG)
ARK Transparency ETF (ticker: CTRU)
Roundhill MEME ETF (ticker: MEME)
WisdomTree Artificial Intelligence & Innovation ETF (ticker: WTAI)
Amplify BlackSwan Tech & Treasury ETF(ticker: QSWN)
ETFB Green SRI REITs ETF (ticker: RITA)
Direxion mRNA ETF (ticker: MSGR)
Defiance Nasdaq Junior Biotechnology ETF (ticker: IBBJ)
iShares iBonds December 2021 Term Muni Bond ETF (ticker: IBMJ)
iShares iBonds December 2021 Term Treasury ETF (ticker: IBTA)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of December 10, 2021)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through December 10, 2021)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.