Week of May 23, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 6 ETF launches and 11 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 4.77 and total US ETFs to 2,940.
- May was a moderate month for 2022 so far for the ETF industry (data will compare 5/1/22 KPIs to 5/29/22).
- Total assets increased 1.96%, there was an increase of 15 ETFs to total US ETF count (2,940), and +5 additional issuers by brand.
- From our 11 asset class categories, Currency increased the most (22.15%) with Managed Futures closely behind (21.11%). Volatility had the worst performance (-18.73%) with Commodities Physical next (-5.22%). The two largest asset classes of Equity (76.89% of assets) and Fixed Income (17.89%) rose 1.63% and 3.24% respectively.
- ETF expense ratio 12-month revenue increased from $11.53 Billion to $11.69 Billion.
- There was not a significant change in revenues from Active, Non-traditional Beta, and Traditional Beta as well as the ETF market share listings from the exchanges.
- May turned out to be a mediocre month compared to 2021, but right in the middle of the pack compared to a volatile 2022 thus far. Assets increased slightly after a poor performance in April, and there was a jump in the issuer count compared to a below average increase in ETF listings.
- The tracked indexes had similar experiences in May. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was up 1.05% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at 0.89%.
JPMorgan Realty Income ETF (ticker: JPRE)
JPMorgan Market Expansion Enhanced Equity ETF (ticker: JMEE)
Dimensional US Marketwide Value ETF (ticker: DFUV)
BondBloxx B Rated USD High Yield Corporate Bond ETF (ticker: XB)
BondBloxx BB Rated USD High Yield Corporate Bond ETF (ticker: XBB)
BondBloxx CCC Rated USD High Yield Corporate Bond ETF (ticker: XCCC)
ProShares Short Oil & Gas ETF (ticker: DDG)
ProShares Short Basic Materials ETF (ticker: SBM)
ProShares RAFIÂ® Long/Short ETF (ticker: RALS)
ProShares Short Euro ETF (ticker: EUFX)
ProShares UltraShort Australian Dollar ETF (ticker: CROC)
ProShares Short Term USD Emerging Markets Bond ETF (ticker: EMSH)
ProShares Morningstar Alternatives Solution ETF (ticker: ALTS)
ProShares Managed Futures Strategy ETF (ticker: FUT)
Nationwide Maximum Diversification US Core Equity ETF (ticker: MXDU)
Nationwide Risk-Based US Equity ETF (ticker: RBUS)
Nationwide Risk-Based International Equity ETF (ticker: RBIN)
- DoubleLine Shiller CAPE US Equities ETF (ticker: DCPE)
became DoubleLine Shiller CAPE US Equities ETF (ticker: CAPE)
- JPMorgan Realty Income Fund (ticker: URTAX)
became JPMorgan Realty Income ETF (ticker: JPRE)
- JPMorgan Market Expansion Enhanced Index Fund (ticker: OMEAX)
became JPMorgan Market Expansion Enhanced Equity ETF (ticker: JMEE)
- Dimensional Tax-Managed US Marketwide Value Portfolio II (ticker: DFMVX)
became Dimensional US Marketwide Value ETF (ticker: DFUV)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of May 27, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through May 27, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Torosoâ€™s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.