Week of September 27, 2021 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 24 ETF launches and 5 closures, shifting the 2021 YTD Open-to-Close ratio to 2.88 and total US ETFs to 2,677.
- The month of September was a down month in the ETF Industry (KPIs below comparing 8/29/2021 to 10/3/2021)
- Total assets decreased approximately -1.98%, an increase of 55 ETFs to total US ETF count, and 7 additional issuers by brand.
- From our 11 asset class categories, Volatility increased the most (5.47%) and Commodities Physical had the largest drop (-3.50%). The two largest asset classes of Equity (77.55% of assets) and Fixed Income (17.87%) dropped -2.66% and rose slightly 0.60% respectively.
- Like August, the ETF Market share of listings stayed close to the same while the ETF ER 12-month revenue reduced from approximately $12.23 to $12.00 Billion in September, back to its July ending position.
- September experienced our first drop in assets in several months but countered with a continued growth in ETF launches and at the cusp of 3:1 ratio of launches to closures in the past 12-months.
- The tracked indexes had different 1-month experiences. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was down -3.63% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index was slightly above even at 0.33%.
Cannabis Growth ETF (ticker: BUDX)
FMQQ The Next Frontier Internet & Ecommerce ETF (ticker: FMQQ)
Nuveen ESG Dividend ETF (ticker: NUDV)
Nuveen Growth Opportunities ETF (ticker: NUGO)
Simplify Risk Parity Treasury ETF (ticker: TYA)
SPDR® Loomis Sayles Opportunistic Bond ETF (ticker: OBND)
Day Hagan/Ned Davis Research Smart Sector Fixed Income ETF (ticker: SSFI)
T. Rowe Price QM US Bond ETF (ticker: TAGG)
T. Rowe Price Total Return ETF (ticker: TOTR)
T. Rowe Price Ultra Short-Term Bond ETF (ticker: TBUX)
ProShares Big Data Refiners ETF (ticker: DAT)
ProShares S&P Kensho Cleantech ETF (ticker: CTEX)
ProShares S&P Kensho Smart Factories ETF (ticker: MAKX)
AllianzIM US Large Cap 6 Month Buffer10 Apr/Oct ETF (ticker: SIXO)
FolioBeyond Rising Rates ETF (ticker: RISR)
Innovator Emerging Markets Power Buffer ETF – October (ticker: EOCT)
Innovator Growth Accelerated Plus ETF – October (ticker: QTOC)
Innovator International Developed Power Buffer ETF – October (ticker: IOCT)
Innovator US Equity Accelerated 9 Buffer ETF – October (ticker: XBOC)
Innovator US Equity Accelerated ETF – October (ticker: XDOC)
Innovator US Equity Accelerated Plus ETF – October (ticker: XTOC)
Pacer Swan SOS Conservative (October) ETF (ticker: PSCQ)
Pacer Swan SOS Flex (October) ETF (ticker: PSFO)
Pacer Swan SOS Moderate (October) ETF (ticker: PSMO)
Direxion High Growth ETF (ticker: HIPR)
Direxion Connected Consumer ETF (ticker: CCON)
Direxion MSCI USA ESG Leaders vs Laggards ETF (ticker: ESNG)
Direxion S&P 500® Hi minus Low Quality ETF (ticker: QMJ)
iPath® S&P 500 Dynamic VIX ETN (ticker: XVZ)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of October 1, 2021)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through October 1, 2021)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.