Week of November 21, 2022 KPI Summary
This week, the industry experienced 4 ETF launches and 5 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 2.93 and total US ETFs to 3,072. Although November is not over just yet, we are going to have a special “World Cup of ETFs” piece coming out next week once the World Cup bracket is officially set for the knockout stage. As a result, today’s blog will focus on November’s KPI overview (comparing 10/30/22 to 11/27/22).
- Total assets increased 5.40%, there was an increase of 13 ETFs to total US ETF count (3,072), and +1 additional issuers by brand.
- This is the 3rd largest increase in assets YTD behind October (6.99%) and July (6.25%)
- From our 11 asset class categories, Options increased the most (6.20%) with Equity next (5.73%). Currency had the worst performance (-7.43%) with Commodities Derivative as second worst (-2.86%). The two largest asset classes of Equity (76.74% of assets) and Fixed Income (18.70%) elevated 5.73% and 4.44% respectively.
- Managed Futures ended its run of 8 months as a top 2 category with a negative performance (-2.00%).
- No category had an amazing or awful month, but equity and fixed incomes solid performance carried the industry overall.
- ETF expense ratio 12-month revenue increased from $10.65 Billion to $11.34 Billion.
- Revenue from Active ETFs dropped from 12.21% to 11.99% of total revenue.
November was a great month in the ETF industry. It was very comparable to July in its assets, issuers, and total ETFs data; November with assets +5.40% to +6.25% in July, both +1 in issuers, +11 to +13 total ETF increase. With back-to-back great months, it will be interesting to see if the industry will have 3 consecutive positive asset months for the first time all year in December. The tracked indexes had similar experiences in November. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was up 11.85% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at 9.48%
Global X Financials Covered Call & Growth ETF (ticker: FYLG)
Global X Health Care Covered Call & Growth ETF (ticker: HYLG)
Global X Information Technology Covered Call & Growth ETF (ticker: TYLG)
YieldMax TSLA Option Income Strategy ETF (ticker: TSLY)
ELEMENTS Rogers International Commodity Metals Total Return ETN (ticker: RJZ)
ELEMENTS Rogers International Commodity Energy Total Return ETN (ticker: RJN)
ELEMENTS Rogers International Commodity Total Return ETN (ticker: RJI)
ELEMENTS Rogers International Commodity Agriculture Total Return ETN (ticker: RJA)
VectorShares Min Vol ETF (ticker: VSPY)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of November 25, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through November 25, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.
Topics: ETF Industry KPI’s