Week of August 29, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 4 ETF launches and 20 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 3.50 and total US ETFs to 2,987.
- August had mediocre performance for 2022, being the 5th out of 8 thus far in assets behind April in 8th (-7.53%), June in 7th (-7.22%), and January in 6th (-5.68%). Note the data below will compare 7/31/22 KPIs to 9/4/22.
- Total assets decreased -3.66%, there was an increase of 8 ETFs to total US ETF count (2,987), and -4 additional issuers by brand.
- From our 11 asset class categories, Currency increased the most (6.42%) with Managed Futures closely behind (6.04%). Commodities Physical had the worst performance (-6.11%) with Geared/Swaps next (-4.36%). The two largest asset classes of Equity (76.25% of assets) and Fixed Income (18.93%) dropped -4.24% and -1.17% respectively.
- ETF expense ratio 12-month revenue decreased from $11.35 Billion to $10.86 Billion.
- The last week of August included a large drop in assets and total ETFs with a number of closures, which turned a moderate month to mediocre. After July being the best month of 2022 in several categories, August was back to the reality of 2022 thus far.
- The tracked indexes had similar experiences in August. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was down -2.23% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at -2.41%.
NEOS Enhanced Income Aggregate Bond ETF (ticker: BNDI)
NEOS Enhanced Income Cash Alternative ETF (ticker: CSHI)
NEOS S&P 500(R) High Income ETF (ticker: SPYI)
KPOP and Korean Entertainment ETF (ticker: KPOP)
AlphaClone Alternative Alpha ETF (ticker: ALFA)
ELEMENTS SPECTRUM Large Cap US Sector Momentum ETF (ticker: EEH)
Global Beta Smart Income ETF (ticker: GBDV)
Global Beta Rising Stars ETF (ticker: GBGR)
Global Beta Low Beta ETF (ticker: GBLO)
iShares MSCI Columbia ETF (ticker: ICOL)
iShares Interest Rate Hedged Emerging Markets Bond ETF (ticker: EMBH)
iShares Currency Hedged JPX-Nikk 400 ETF (ticker: HJPX)
iShares MSCI Argentina & Global Exposure ETF (ticker: AGT)
iShares Evolved US Financials ETF (ticker: IEFN)
iShares Evolved US Healthcare Staples ETF (ticker: IEHS)
iShares Evolved US Consumer Staples ETF (ticker: IECS)
iShares Evolved US Media and Entertainment ETF (ticker: IEME)
iShares Evolved US Innovative Healthcare ETF (ticker: IEIH)
iShares MSCI Japan Equal Weighted ETF (ticker: EWJE)
iShares MSCI USA Mid-Cap Multifactor ETF (ticker: MIDF)
Defiance Next Gen SPAC Derived ETF (ticker: SPAK)
Defiance Next Gen Altered Experience ETF (ticker: PSY)
DriveWealth Steady Saver ETF (ticker: STBL)
DriveWealth Power Saver ETF (ticker: EERN)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of September 2, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through September 2, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Torosoâ€™s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.