Week of July 25, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 4 ETF launches and 2 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 3.90 and total US ETFs to 2,979.
- July was the best month of 2022 so far for the ETF industry (data will compare 7/3/22 KPIs to 7/31/22).
- Total assets increased 6.25%, there was an increase of 11 ETFs to total US ETF count (2,979), and +1 additional issuers by brand.
- From our 11 asset class categories, Managed Futures increased the most (20.96%) with Geared/Swaps closely behind (15.48%). Commodities Derivative had the worst performance (-6.32%) with Commodities Physical next (-5.41%). The two largest asset classes of Equity (76.71% of assets) and Fixed Income (18.45%) rose 7.27% and 3.74% respectively.
- ETF expense ratio 12-month revenue increased from $10.76 Billion to $11.69 Billion.
- July was the best month for ETF assets in 2022 thus far, but also the lowest increase in ETF funds (+11) with 21 launches and 10 closures. Nine of the eleven asset categories had an increase of at least +3.00% except for both commodities’ derivative and physical which were both negative, as listed above.
- The tracked indexes had similar experiences in July. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was up 8.40% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at 7.21%.
Touchstone Strategic Income Opportunities ETF (ticker: SIO)
Innovator Hedged TSLA Strategy ETF (ticker: TSLH)
IQ MacKay Multi-Sector Income ETF (ticker: MMSB)
Touchstone US Large Cap Focused ETF (ticker: LCF)
AWTM Ultra-Short Duration Enhanced Income ETF (ticker: AWTM)
ETFMG Prime 2x Daily Inverse Junior Silver Miners ETF (ticker: SINV)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of July 29, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through July 29, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.