Week of August 16, 2021 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 3 new ETF launches and 1 closure, shifting the 2021 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 2.52 and total US ETFs to 2,614.
- It was a down week in the ETF industry with assets down -0.69%, yet still up 21.45% YTD.
- The 1-year Open-to-Close ratio is the largest we have recorded (at 2.52) since we started calculating and sharing the ETF Industry KPIs in Q1 2018. We will continue to keep track of this KPI closely and discover if the industry will continue to expand without trimming funds around the same rate.
- Other KPIs have been holding steady over the past several weeks, aside from revenue from Active ETFs dipping slightly (9.98% at Q2 close and slowly decreasing since then).
- Both indexes experienced minimal change over the last week, the Toroso ETF Industry Index was down -1.87% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at -2.29%.
MicroSectors™ Select FANG Innovation 3X Leveraged ETNs (ticker: BULZ)
MicroSectors™ Select FANG & Innovation 3X Inverse Leveraged ETNs (ticker: BERZ)
John Hancock Mortgage Backed Securities ETF (ticker: JHMB)
Xtrackers MSCI ACWI ex USA ESG Leaders Equity ETF (ticker: ACSG)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of August 20, 2021)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through August 20, 2021)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.