Week of April 18, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 8 ETF launches and 1 closure, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 5.79 (highest ever recorded in our weekly KPIs) and total US ETFs to 2,918.
- The old saying goes “April showers bring May flowers.” This week, we are “diving” into the water themed ETFs to see if the April showers have been stormy or calm.
- There are 6 ETFs that focus on water ranging from $1.7 Billion in assets to $6 million.
- The oldest and largest in assets is Invesco Water Resources (PHO), which was launched in 2005 and has $1.7 Billion. The next two largest funds are First Trust Water (FIW) and Invesco S&P Global Water (CGW), both launched in 2007 and have over $1 Billion in assets. The final 3 are PIO, EBLU, and AQWA.
- April has been a stormy month for these ETFs, with the performance average at -4.5% for 1-month trailing. The newest and smallest ETF (AQWA) edged out the rest at -3.9%.
- Water ETFs have not fared well in 2022 thus far either, with all 6 ETFs performance down (14.9 – 19.2%) YTD while the ETF industry is down 7.15% overall YTD. FIW led the group and EBLU brought up the rear.
- On the other hand, the ETFs performed well in 2021, ranging 25.9 – 31.9% increase.
- Water themed ETFs have suffered more of a thunderous, rainy April and 2022 thus far. Time will tell if the saying reigns true and it brings flowers and life to the ETF industry in May and the rest of 2022.
- Both indexes experienced decline last week. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was down -3.69% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index led at -1.97%.
Fidelity Crypto Industry & Digital Payments ETF (ticker: FDIG)
Fidelity Metaverse ETF (ticker: FMET)
Fidelity Sustainable Core Plus Bond ETF (ticker: FSBD)
Fidelity Sustainable Low Duration Bond ETF (ticker: FSLD)
First Trust Indxx Metaverse ETF (ticker: ARVR)
Roundhill Cannabis ETF (ticker: WEED)
FlexShares ESG & Climate Emerging Markets ETF (ticker: FEEM)
SPDR MSCI USA Climate Paris Aligned ETF (ticker: NZUS)
LGBTQ 100 ESG ETF (ticker: LGBT)
JPMorgan Inflation Managed Bond Fund (ticker: JIMAX)
became JPMorgan Inflation Managed Bond ETF (ticker: JCPI)
SPDR® MSCI ACWI Low Carbon Target ETF (ticker: LOWC)
became SPDR® MSCI ACWI Climate Paris Aligned ETF (ticker: NZAC)
WisdomTree Global ex-U.S. Real Estate Fund (ticker: DRW)
became WisdomTree New Economy Real Estate ETF (ticker: WTRE)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of April 22, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through April 22, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.