Week of August 31, 2021 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced no new ETF launches and 8 closures, shifting the 2021 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 2.52 and total US ETFs to 2,614.
- It was a strong week for the ETF universe with assets increasing 1.14% and assets reaching an all-time high of $6.83 Trillion.
- It’s been nearly 18 months since the US shut down the first time from Covid-19, so let’s take a look at the market’s progress since March 2020 (data from March 22, 2020)
- ETF assets have more than doubled from $3.34 to $6.83 Trillion and an additional 301 total ETFs and 66 issuers in the universe.
- ETF Expense Ratio 12-month Revenue has also more than doubled from $6.04 Bn to $12.41 Bn today.
- The ETF market share of listings have seen interesting change. CBOE has grown 3.84% of market share (from 15.13 to 18.97) while NYSE and Nasdaq both shrink -2.21% and -1.59% respectively.
- Overall, the ETF universe has seen massive change and growth in the past 18 months despite global and market turbulence.
- Both indexes experienced minimal change over the last week, the Toroso ETF Industry Index was down -0.54% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at -2.36%.
iShares Factors US Small Blend Style ETF (ticker: STSB)
iShares Factors US Blend Style ETF (ticker: STLC)
iShares Factors US Mid Blend Style ETF (ticker: STMB)
iShares Currency Hedged MSCI Mexico ETF (ticker: HEWW)
iShares International Preferred Stock ETF (ticker: IPFF)
iShares Adaptive Currency Hedged MSCI EAFE ETF (ticker: DEFA)
iShares Russell 1000 Pure US Revenue ETF (ticker: AMCA)
First Trust RiverFront Dynamic Asia Pacific ETF (ticker: RFAP)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of September 3, 2021)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through September 3, 2021)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.