Zingers, Questions and Answers
Sorry for those who missed it – we purposely don’t record the Happy Hour because the best insights shared are done “off the record,” and given the unscripted nature of Happy Hours, we never know what is going to be said. AKA for this week, there is no coaches challenge and instant replay available. Nevertheless, here are a couple pivotal questions, zingers and even proposed solutions.
Top Zingers and Fun Exchanges
- Weiskopf: “After 25 years of being married, the easiest way to make her happy was to shave [my beard] off.”
- Dziekanski: “We should do an episode where everyone’s significant other explains what they do for work”
- Barkley: (in regard to investing) “I think I do have that intensity, but at the same time as a quarterback, I tend to keep emotion out of the equation”
- Barkley: “If you always ride the wave on your successes, you’re going to be disappointed”
- Venuto: “Investing is more about the times you avoided a sack… The things that we choose not to own are as important as the things you do”
- Venuto: “I think you’ve got a shot at being paid in Bitcoin soon”
- Barkley: “when you look at investing in Amazon or Google back then… and if you could have just invested in “the internet,” that’s what we have here”
Laughter and Fun
We launched the Get Think Tanked Happy Hour with this exact purpose: addressing serious investment subjects with humility, authenticity and yes, a little fun during these difficult times. Given that, we were thrilled to raise a glass on February 18, 2021 and use the toasting word “Owner.” If you are an owner of cryptocurrency, you would have enjoyed this show.
Questions and Key Discussion Points
Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies have been all the rage lately, but are we at a short-term top? Find out what Crypto investor / NFL Quarterback Matt Barkley thinks about the asset which he has been investing in for many years, and where he thinks the opportunity lies in the future. Some of the questions and debate covered includes:
- How has the conversation changed for this run up from the last run up for crypto assets?
- What happens when you ask an NFL owner for your contract to be paid in Bitcoin, and how do the terms work?
- How do you look at investing in more than one coin, or building a portfolio approach to crypto investing?
- What makes you nervous about Crypto, what is the bear case?
- Do you think we’re at the Top in Bitcoin?
- Are the higher fees in Ethereum going to be overcome, or is there a new one coming?
- Debts get wiped and no more QE. What does Bitcoin do in three years?
Thank you, Matt Barkley (@MattBarkley) for giving us the inside scoop on why you are investing as much as you can into Bitcoin at this current time. We are going to get that missed opportunity counter for you for the failed attempt at getting your signing bonuses paid in Bitcoin, but you probably won’t like the results. (sorry in advance, readers) That play would have been a touchdown…
The Happy Hour was a constructive discussion and highlighted various key points that we often address at the ETF Think Tank.
FOMO? To the moon? Diamond hands? Bitcoin has taken the finance world by storm this year after exponential gains, hitting new all-time highs. We chat about how to build a crypto portfolio, what type of risk these things come with, and how to HODL on for dear life during the next pullback. The Clubhouse chat we hosted afterwards was lit, as the kids say.
Thank you, Matt, for coming on our show last week. To learn more about his investing strategy, or to learn more about the crypto exchange Voyager, hit him up on twitter, use some of his referral links, and even book him for a cameo.
This week we have Peter Doyle of Horizon Kinetics (@HorizonKinetics), who are dedicated to the pursuit of independent, creative thought and its application to the practice of investing. Come join us! Bring on your questions.
The information provided here is for financial professionals only and should not be considered an individualized recommendation or personalized investment advice. The investment strategies mentioned here may not be suitable for everyone. Each investor needs to review an investment strategy for his or her own particular situation before making any investment decision.
All expressions of opinion are subject to change without notice in reaction to shifting market conditions. Data contained herein from third party providers is obtained from what are considered reliable sources. However, its accuracy, completeness or reliability cannot be guaranteed.
Examples provided are for illustrative purposes only and not intended to be reflective of results you can expect to achieve.
All investments involve risk, including possible loss of principal.
The value of investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amounts originally invested, and can be affected by changes in interest rates, in exchange rates, general market conditions, political, social and economic developments and other variable factors. Investment involves risks including but not limited to, possible delays in payments and loss of income or capital. Neither Toroso nor any of its affiliates guarantees any rate of return or the return of capital invested. This commentary material is available for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security and nothing herein should be construed as such. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested, and nothing herein should be construed as a guarantee of any specific outcome or profit. While we have gathered the information presented herein from sources that we believe to be reliable, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed herein are our opinions and are current only as of the date of distribution, and are subject to change without notice. We disclaim any obligation to provide revised opinions in the event of changed circumstances.