Week of October 18, 2021 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 6 new ETF launches and 3 closures, shifting the 2021 YTD Open-to-Close ratio to 3.19 and total US ETFs to 2,699.
- It was another strong week for ETF assets, up 1.45% on the week.
- On a quick ETF issuer check-in, here are the best performers of 2021 thus far of the top 20 in assets
- The top 20 issuers have averaged an increase of 40.02% in assets, compared to the industry averaging 26.23% YTD.
- KraneShares (19th in assets) has surged the most at 155.05% increase in assets of the top 20. Of the top 10, J.P. Morgan leads the way at 59.09% (7th largest asset holder).
- iShares, Vanguard, and State Street have a combined market share of 78.68%, a decrease of 1.38% YTD.
- According to our Security Master, First Trust has launched the most ETFs in 2021 (25 total) of the top 20 issuers, with the average being 7.6 ETFs launched.
- Both indexes experienced positive change over the last week, the Toroso ETF Industry Index was up 2.49% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index led at 2.79%.
ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF (ticker: BITO)
ETFMG Real Estate Tech ETF (ticker: HHH)
IQ Clean Oceans ETF (ticker: OCEN)
IQ Cleaner Transport ETF (ticker: CLNR)
IQ Engender Equality ETF (ticker: EQUL)
Valkyrie Bitcoin Strategy ETF (ticker: BTF)
The Long-Term Care ETF (ticker: OLD)
VictoryShares Top Veteran Employers ETF (ticker: VTRN)
VictoryShares Protect America ETF (ticker: SHLD)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of October 22, 2021)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through October 22, 2021)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in the early 2000’s and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.