Zingers, Questions and Answers
Sorry for those who missed it – we purposely don’t record the Happy Hour because the best insights shared are done “off the record,” and given the unscripted nature of Happy Hours, we never know what is going to be said. Nevertheless, here are a couple of pivotal questions, zingers and even proposed solutions.
Top Zingers and Fun Exchanges
- Faber: “We do such a sorry job of [financial education] in the country, it’s taught in like 12% of high schools”
- Faber: “I was quoting Robert Downey Jr. earlier, he’s got an old article that references, I mean, he’s getting like stabbed by an ex-gf so it’s not quite the same thing… but he’s like ‘remember the stitches'”
- Dziekanski: “I think what’s different now from 20 years ago is the size.”
- Venuto: “What happens if we gamify other parts of finance?”
- Weiskopf: “Is it going to continue though? Candidly, I think it’s great, and respectfully Michael Gayed, I think SeekingAlpha is a lot of intelligent sharing, and smaller investors ganging up is fine.”
- Faber: “You kind of have to be a comedian and a historian in our industry, things are going to get way weirder”
Laughter and Fun
We launched the Get Think Tanked Happy Hour with this exact purpose: addressing serious investment subjects with humility, authenticity and yes, a little fun during these difficult times. Given that, we were thrilled to raise a glass on February 04, 2021 and use the toasting word “BETs.” If you were gambling on if we would finish the show, well, you had to tune in to find out.
Questions and Key Discussion Points
If you have a long-term time horizon, many investment styles will work out. We drilled down to some great long-term venture style investments with Meb Faber. Some of the questions and debate covered included:
- Is what’s going on with Reddit a one-off phenomenon or is this something everyone should be worrying about?
- Discussing selling strategies for stocks that you own, whether they move in the right or wrong direction.
- Guidelines for what makes a “good” ETF, stock, or investment.
- What is the smart way to get Cannabis exposure?
- Why do you think most of the market-neutral funds have had such poor performance over the last decade?
- How do you analyze a venture company and what time horizon do you give it?
Thank you, Meb Faber (@MebFaber) for bringing an enlightenment to structural trades and pointing out that long-term investing in a thematic way sometimes takes decades, not 10 days or a month. Also, enlightening us by noting that all investment strategies have their day in the sun, and that any strategy needs 20 years to play out.
The Happy Hour was a constructive discussion and highlighted various key points that we often address at the ETF Think Tank.
How do you value venture companies that need 20-30 years to grow? Has the public market been broken in the last few weeks, or is this just stock market history repeating itself? We had a lively discussion answering these questions, followed by a first of many Clubhouse chats with the group.
This week we have guest speaker Perth Tolle from Life + Liberty Indexes. She concentrates on human rights, economic freedoms, emerging markets, and ETFs – it is sure to be an interview you do not want to miss – come join us! Bring your challenging questions!
The information provided here is for financial professionals only and should not be considered an individualized recommendation or personalized investment advice. The investment strategies mentioned here may not be suitable for everyone. Each investor needs to review an investment strategy for his or her own particular situation before making any investment decision.
All expressions of opinion are subject to change without notice in reaction to shifting market conditions. Data contained herein from third party providers is obtained from what are considered reliable sources. However, its accuracy, completeness or reliability cannot be guaranteed.
Examples provided are for illustrative purposes only and not intended to be reflective of results you can expect to achieve.
All investments involve risk, including possible loss of principal.
The value of investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amounts originally invested, and can be affected by changes in interest rates, in exchange rates, general market conditions, political, social and economic developments and other variable factors. Investment involves risks including but not limited to, possible delays in payments and loss of income or capital. Neither Toroso nor any of its affiliates guarantees any rate of return or the return of capital invested. This commentary material is available for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security and nothing herein should be construed as such. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested, and nothing herein should be construed as a guarantee of any specific outcome or profit. While we have gathered the information presented herein from sources that we believe to be reliable, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed herein are our opinions and are current only as of the date of distribution, and are subject to change without notice. We disclaim any obligation to provide revised opinions in the event of changed circumstances.
The information in this material is confidential and proprietary and may not be used other than by the intended user. Neither Toroso or its affiliates or any of their officers or employees of Toroso accepts any liability whatsoever for any loss arising from any use of this material or its contents. This material may not be reproduced, distributed or published without prior written permission from Toroso. Distribution of this material may be restricted in certain jurisdictions. Any persons coming into possession of this material should seek advice for details of and observe such restrictions (if any).